Serving as a public meeting place and cultural center, the Abbaye Neumunster is situated in the district of Luxembourg City. The center's existence began in 1606 when the original building was constructed by the monks after the Benedictine Abbey was destroyed. The Benedictines of Abbaye Neum¸nster were distinguished scholars and writers. They were the first to introduce public education in the city. Since the 17th Century, the monks had taught several languages thus signifying their devotion to different cultures that the center now emanates.
Several years after it was built, the building was destroyed by fire. It was rebuilt at the same location in 1688 and expanded in 1720. Following the French Revolution, the building was home to a police state and prison. It served as a place of transit for Luxembourg deportees during the occupation of the Nazis. It later served as a barracks for the Prussians after Napoleon's 1815 defeat. In 1867, the building again house state prisoners this time housing common law detainees until the 1980s. Then, in 1997, it was dedicated as the home of the European Institute of Cultural Routes. After major renovations, the Neum¸nster was finally opened to the public in 2004 as the Cultural Center Abbaye Neum¸nster.
Today, the cultural center is one of Luxembourg's most important historic sites. The Treaty of Accession between Bulgaria and Romania was signed at the center on April 25, 2005. The center is a public institution what features activities designed towards the public's interest. Rooms at the facility can be rented for meetings of organizations and gatherings. Lastly, it is home to the Institut Pierre Werner that was established to unite the French with Germans and Luxembourg residents.